[Magictour] Re: Stats

From: Jean-Charles Meyrignac <euler_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: mar. juil. 01 2003 - 22:37:09 W. Europe Daylight Time

I'm sorry about these messages. They are pretty off the topics.

> I should be thanking you for letting me be a part of this project and
> helping me leave my mark in history.

I don't know if our names will mark the history in 100 years, but solving
this 150 years problem is quite glorious now.

> Why is there no market for distributed computing in France? You have
> twice the population of Canada so I'm sure that there is potential for
> it. In my eyes, Europe is a lot more technologically advanced then
> North America. Don't get me wrong, Canada & the United States are
> leaders in the IT world and Canada is the country with the most PC's per
> capita but still, we still have a long road ahead of us to catch up to
> you guys!

I'm aware that we are technologically in advance, but the problem is that we
are theoretical guys.
We are unable to make money from our work, perhaps because starting a
business in Europe is very difficult, due to the (great) social constraints.

>I thank you for not making it distributed

I spent many hours maintaining EulerNet. I don't want to bother distributing
it manually; this is really boring, because people leave the project without
sending mail, and you have to update the pages regularly when you receive
computation. Look at http://euler.free.fr/progress.htm

Gunter is now pretty good at maintaining his site, so it will be time for
him to learn how to maintain a distributed project :-)

> and am sorry if my desktop is taking so long to
> compute some tours, I'll buy an Opteron or Alpha processor next time!

It's not very important. In France, we like to look at working people while
we do nothing.
Of course, I worked hard on this program, but it's always a pleasure to see
somebody else put the efforts :-)

JC

Magictour mailing list
To unsubscribe: mailto:magictour-request@ml.free.fr?subject=unsubscribe